2009/09/15

Chicago/Peoria/4-9 October 2007
















The central focus of the Chicago/Peoria is on agriculture in America. I start by visiting the Chicago Board of Trade, where I observe the relationship between free market forces and agriculture. And then I move to central Illinois: en route, I drive through one of the primary agricultural regions in the country and visit a typical mid-western farm.
Monday I spend the entire day with the Caterpillar Company, examining industry in the Midwest and the company’s affect on the farming industry.
Tuesday, I shift my focus to the relationship between the land-grant university system and agriculture.
I also visit to Boeing International Headquarters to the itinerary. Boeing moved its headquarters from Seattle to Chicago within the past few years and this visit is a chance to see one of the world leaders in aircraft and avionics.

During this trip, I have a chance to visit the heart of the upper Midwest of the United States. Chicago is a world famous city. It became famous due to its strategic location as a major confluence of transportation systems. It is one of the key railroad hubs of the country. It is also located on one of the famous Great Lakes, Lake Michigan. Thus, Chicago is also a major seaport.
Large ships transit the Great Lakes most of the year, connecting industrial and agricultural America with the Atlantic Ocean via the St. Lawrence Seaway. Chicago also has access to the major waterways of mid-America, such as the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. Finally, O’Hare Airport is the busiest airport in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment